Beyond Measurement? Evaluating Environmental Public Health:
Assessing the Effectiveness of Food Safety Programs
1. What sort of roles and responsibilities do environmental health professionals have regarding food safety?
2. What type of information would the environmental health director need to know to help make his case to the state legislature?
3. From farm to plate, what are some of the ways food can become contaminated with pathogens?
4. What food safety practices would a health inspector look for during a routine restaurant inspection?
5. What are examples of food-borne illness outbreaks that have taken place in the last two years in the United States? What was the cause of the outbreak? What was the responsible pathogen and how many people were ill? Be sure to include the website where you found your information.
6. What actions can health inspectors take to mitigate or prevent an outbreak from occurring?