The purposes of this assignment are to: (a) identify and articulate key concepts of your legal/regulatory issue in a clear, succinct, and scholarly manner (CO4), (b) discuss strategies to reduce costs and improve quality of health related to your issue (CO3), and (c) provide empirical, scholarly evidence to support your proposed plan (CO5).
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to do the following.
(CO3) Appraise the effects of strategies to reduce costs and improve the quality and safety of healthcare. (PO1 & PO4)
(CO4) Organize legal and regulatory components of healthcare strategies to promote safety and quality care. (PO1 & PO4)
(CO5) Synthesize and communicate research findings to promote quality improvement and safety in healthcare. (PO1& PO4)
1. This paper will be graded on quality of information, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and organization based on the required components.
2. Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word, which is the required format for all Chamberlain documents. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in “.docx.”
3. Submit to the appropriate CCN Dropbox by 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday of the week due. Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A Discussion topic.
4. The length of the paper is to be approximately three pages, excluding the title page and reference list.
5. APA format (6th edition) is required in this assignment, including a title page and reference page. Use APA level 1 headings for the organizational structure of this assignment. Remember that the introduction does not carry a heading that labels it as a level heading in APA format. The first part of your paper is assumed to be the introduction. See APA manual for details. See resource under Course Resources, “Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers.” Use the suggested format and headings to organize your assignment.
a. Include introduction (do not label as a heading in APA format)
b. Steps Related to Legal/Regulatory Issue
c. State-Board Recovery Program
e. Supporting Evidence
PREPARING THE PAPER
As the nurse executive of a healthcare organization, it was reported to you that one of your nurses may be chemically impaired (legal/regulatory issue) and has allegedly been taking drugs from the unit. This nurse also had two recent medication errors in the past week. Discuss the steps you would take to validate this allegation and how you would proceed after the allegation was confirmed to be true.
1. Clearly introduce your legal/regulatory issue in the introduction paragraph; including a sentence that states the purpose of your paper.
2. Clearly articulate the steps you would take as the nurse leader to investigate the allegation of this legal/regulatory issue as stated above and how to proceed when the allegation is confirmed to be true.
3. Investigate/research and discuss if your state board of nursing offers some type of recovery program for chemically-impaired nurses (a strategy). If they do not offer a program in your state, discuss a proposed recovery program for chemically-impaired nurses that you would like to have implemented for your state. Contact a state representative who may have an interest in this topic area and share their comments on this issue in this section of your assignment.
4. Clearly articulate your specific strategies to improve costs and improve the quality of healthcare at your organization related to the legal/regulatory issue stated above. How do your strategies relate to the Person-Centred Nursing Leadership Framework by McCormack and McCance (2017); specifically the contextual domain?
5. Include of a minimum of three sources of scholarly, empirical evidence that supports your strategies to improve costs and quality of healthcare.
6. Provide concluding statements that should summarize your overall assignment content.
7. The paper should be no longer than three pages, excluding title and reference page(s).
8. Title and reference page(s) must be in APA format (6th edition).
9. Use 12 Times New Roman font and one-inch margins on all sides of the paper.