The textbook reference “The Media Gaze Representations of Diversities in Canada” by Augie Fleras UBC Press 2011
You can reference any of the chapters from 3-7.
Discussion board posting – Frames-
Goal: To examine the pervasiveness of mainstream news media frames and representations within no news mediums. To learn how to apply and extend concepts discussed in course readings to an external case study.
Students will choose one topics from the following list.
Students are to draw from the appropriate chapter in part 2 (Chapters 3 -7) in the Fleras (2011) book, The media gaze: representations of diversities in Canada to understand how each issue is framed/represented
in mainstream news media. Students will then identify a non-news medium not already discussed in the chapter (and not to include community or social media) and write a 500 – 600 word discussion board posting analyzing the degree to which the news media frames discussed in the chapter are represented in the non-news medium.
The non-news medium cannot be the same as the one used in the lectures or textbook chapter(s) that you are referencing.
Also be specific for example if you are using video games, mention a specific game ex. diablo.
Suggestions for non-news mediums can include:
comic books, video games, popular music recordings, movies, television sitcoms or dramas, television reality shows, corporate or government webpages (do not use non-profit or social movement webpages), artist renderings, public art or exhibitions, novels, recipe books, etc.
The discussion board posting must include:
(1) clear topic sentence that situates the discussion board posting (topic, relevance, and case study)
(2) presents a clear and concise overview of how that topic is regularly framed in mainstream news media, citing the chapter.
(3) identifies one way that this frame is manifest in mainstream news media
(4) transitions the discussion to the case study
(5) discusses whether that same framing strategy is evident in the case study, explaining and citing specific examples from the case study.
(6) offers a short analysis of the comparison
(7) discusses the implication of this finding for
media depictions of society.
Assignments will be marked based on:
(1) adherence to assignment guidelines
(2) correctness of chapter summary
(3) relevance and depth of connections made between the chapter and non-news medium
(4)persuasiveness of academic argument being made
(5) proper citation
(6) writing style
Order your paper at EssayAgents.com - Let our academic writing experts help you write a custom paper on a topic of your choice now within the shortest time possible. We are the most affordable writing service online- Click on the order now button for an instant quote. We guarantee 100% authenticity of all papers written by us. Boost your grades with our expert writing services.