New York City, January 29, 2014
To: All Company Employees
From: Director of Information Technology
Subject: Reminder: Key components of a company policy on acceptable use of email and text messaging.
As our company expands, the number of our employees is increasing and the company has accepted official use of email and text as a form of electronic communications. The Human Resource is giving away new company emails based on departments and every work is assigned a specific company email and password. Only communications sent and received from the company official emails will be accepted and treated as company concerns. The company policy on the use of email and text require that every employee keeps his password a secret. Sharing of company property like email and text numbers is a criminal offense punishable by court of law and thus every employee must never share company information.The policy is aimed at providing appropriate guidelines on proper use of emailing services so that all employees are aware of what the company considers unacceptable or acceptable.
- Email messaging must only be used for company business. Employees must not conduct personal matters using company emails, computer, and cell phones. Moreover, company confidential information must not be shared with outsiders without authorization.
- pornography viewing, sharing of pornography stories, videos and jokes over company texts and emails is considered as sexual harassment and shall be strictly addressed according to company sexual harassment policy.
- Text and email messaging is solely the company’s business communication tools. All text and email communication must be proper to the company and work teams and addressed in formal and professional way.
- Any text message or email that illustrates forms of gender, religion, race, nationality and other forms of discrimination will be strictly dealt with in accordance with our organization’s harassment policy.
- Always “lock” your computer when you leave your workstation to prevent unauthorized people from accessing company information and email. Please, let us all remember that precious company time is wasted when you send texts and emails not related to business to your family friends and colleagues.
- Do check and confirm the address before sending email to make sure that you sent an email to the right person
- Be careful when expressing personal opinions and views to ensure that they are not regarded as libelous and defamatory.
- Do check your email and texts daily to see if you have any new messages that call for your attention.
- Do not send extremely huge mail attachments and messages
- Do not print company mails unless it is required for company use.
Forwarding and sending of non-business related emails will result harsh disciplinary measure such us suspensions and termination of employment.
Please not that:
- All electronic mail, send or received by the organization should be scanned for viruses
- All electronic mail activities are strictly logged and monitored
- All content within electronic mails are thoroughly scanned for distasteful
Usage of text and email messaging by employees is solely for conduction of company businesses. Some employee responsibilities require the use of email alongside other software beside Microsoft. Removal and the addition of such programs require the attention of the IT Staff wasting precious company time. Employees are therefore urged to reduce email usage.
Remember that all communications stored on company devices or sent by texts and email are owned by the company. The company therefore has the right to use any material on your computer or email at any time. Do not consider personal information, communication or information stored on company computer as private.
This is just a segment of the company policy. Please carefully review the message and the entire company policies and sign on the acknowledgement sheet that you have read and understood the company policies.
Kindly contact your immediate manager for any questions..